French macaroons with vanilla buttercream
sieve, 2 bowls, hand mixer with beaters, rubber spatula, piping bag, Round tip
Step 1/ 17
1. In a sieve sift powdered sugar, almond flour, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a bowl. Make sure you sift ingredients a few times to get it really fine for a smoother top.
Step 2/ 17
- hand mixer with beaters
2. In a seperate large bowl, beat the egg whites and the remaining 1/2 teaspoon of salt with an electric hand mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add the sugar until fully combined. Continue to beat until soft peaks form (you should be able to flip the bowl upside down over your head and have nothing come out, if nothing comes out it is ready).
Step 3/ 17
3. Add the vanilla and beat until fully combined. Add the food coloring and beat until just combined.
Step 4/ 17
- rubber spatula
4. Add about 1/3 of the sifted almond flour mixture at a time to the beated egg whites and use a spatula to gently fold until combined. After the last edition of almond flour, continue to fold slowly until the batter falls down and makes ribbons and you’re able to make a figure 8 without breaking it while holding the spatula. ￼￼￼
Step 5/ 17
- piping bag
- Round tip
5. Transfer the macaroon batter into a piping bag with a round tip
Step 6/ 17
6. Place 4 dots of the batter in each corner of a rimmed baking sheet, and place a piece of parchment paper on top, using the batter to help adhere the parchment paper to the baking sheet.
Step 7/ 17
7. Pipe the macaroons onto the parchment paper in 1 1/2 inch (3cm) circles, spacing at least 1 inch (2cm) apart.
Step 8/ 17
8. Tap the baking sheet on a flay surface 5 times on each side to release any air bubbles.
Step 9/ 17
Let the macarons sit a room temperature for 30 minutes to an hour, until dry to the touch.
Step 10/ 17
Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C)
Step 11/ 17
Bake the macarons for 17 minutes, until the feet are well-risen and the macarons don’t stick to the parchment paper.
Step 12/ 17
Transfer the macarons to a wire rack to cool completely before filling.
Step 13/ 17
Make the buttercream: In a large bowl, add the butter and beat with a mixer for 1 minute until light and fluffy. Sift the powdered sugar until fully incorporated. Add the vanilla and beat until combined. Add, the cream 1 tablespoon at a time, and begin to combine, until desired consistency is reached.
Step 14/ 17
Transfer the buttercream to a piping bag fitted with a round tip.
Step 15/ 17
Add a dollop of buttercream to one macaron shell. Top with another macaron shell to create a sandwich. Repeat with remaining macaron shells and buttercream.
Step 16/ 17
Place in an airtight container for 24 hours to “bloom”.
Step 17/ 17
Enjoy your meal!