Creamy Tom Yam Kung (Thai Hot and Sour Soup with Shrimp
Recipes made to your taste
Get your personalized recipe picks in 10 seconds.
- 2 Low sodium chicken stock
- 7 leaves kaffir lime leaves, torn into pieces
- 7 slices lemongrass, approximately 1/8-inch thick
- 8 slices thin slices fresh galangal
- 28 g fresh button or oyster mushrooms,cut into bite-size
- 2 tbsp Nam Prik Pao
- ¼ Cup fish sauce, or to taste
- 4 leaves red bird’s eye chilies, crushed
In a medium saucepan, bring the broth to a very gentle boil over medium heat. Adjust the temperature so that the liquid is barely simmering. Add the lemongrass, galangal, and kaffir lime leaves to the broth; continue to monitor the temperature. Add the mushrooms and stir in the Nam Prik Pao. Add fish sauce, followed by crushed chilies.
- ¼ Cup fresh lime juice, or to taste
- 500 g jumbo shrimp, peeled with the head and tail sec
- 1 Cup evaporated milk, whole milk, or half-n-half
- ¼ cup lightly-packed cilantro leaves
As the broth is gently simmering, lower the shrimp into it. Turn up the heat a bit to keep the broth at a steady simmer. Cook, stirring occasionally, until shrimp have firmed up slightly, about 1 minute. Add milk, cook until simmering, and remoce from heat. Season soup with lime juice and fish sauce to taste. Stir in cilantro leaves and serve.